SCBR provides a review venue for small/independent presses, university and regional presses, and women author-publishers (self-publishers). We welcome books written by women, for women, with an emphasis on women’s lives. Books by women of color or by SCN members receive preference in the selection process.
If you would like us to review a book, please read our Guidelines before you submit the query form below. Questions? See our Guidelines first, then email email@example.com.
- Unsolicited review copies will not be offered for review.
- We review hardcover or tradepaper books published by small/independent presses, university and regional presses, and women author-publishers (self-publishers). We usually give preference to newly-published authors and to titles that have not yet been widely reviewed.
- We do not review books published in electronic format only. That is, if your book is available only for an ebook reader (such as Kindle) and not in print, we cannot review it.
- We do not usually review books published more than two years before the current date. However, we make exceptions for reissues and books that are currently relevant and topical.
- We prefer print review copies, not electronic. Please do not include press kits or promotional materials.
- We rarely publish reviews of mass market (paperback) genre fiction or series fiction.
- We cannot accept all queries we receive. If you haven’t heard from us, it means that we are taking a silent pass.
- We do not review all books we receive. Reviewers are offered a list of books from which they may choose. A book may not be chosen, or may not be chosen immediately or may be returned by the reviewer without review. Our acceptance of your book for review does NOT guarantee that it will be reviewed.
- Our turn-around time is normally 6-8 weeks. If we review your book, we will notify you by email. If you haven’t heard from us in 8-12 weeks, you may assume that we will not review the book. (We may surprise you, though, so don’t give up.)
- It is our policy to present only books that readers are likely to enjoy and learn from. Our reviews are published on Amazon and Goodreads as well as on our site.
- For promotion purposes, you may quote excerpts of up to 200 words from our reviews, with a link to the page on which the review is posted. Each review is copyrighted by the reviewer. You will find reprint information at the bottom of the review page.
- Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book Review Query
Please do NOT email us about a book you have submitted for review. We’ll let you know when we have something to share.