The 2020 competition has closed. See the winners here.
Check back on this page later for 2021 contest information.
SCN is proud to announce its nineteenth annual lifewriting competition, named in honor our founder, author Susan Wittig Albert. Open only to members of the Story Circle Network. To join us, go here.
Listening to Myself
Has there been a time in your life when you thought you knew what you needed to do, but an inner voice kept telling you to go a different direction? Did you wind up “trusting your gut”? And if so, did your hindsight later validate your decision? If you didn’t listen to your instinct, did you have regrets? How were you changed by the experience? Sometimes, listening to ourselves means being able to discern which of our several inner voices to listen to. How do you know which to trust?
Instinct is a marvelous thing. It can neither be explained nor ignored.
Practice listening to your intuition, your inner voice; ask questions; be curious; see what you see; hear what you hear; and then act upon what you know to be true. These intuitive powers were given to your soul at birth.
One prize of $100, one prize of $75, and two prizes of $50 each. The first-place story will be published in the Story Circle Journal. All winning stories will be featured on SCN's website. Upon the judges' recommendation, other entries may be published in later issues of the Journal and in other SCN print or on-line publications. An award may be withheld if, in the opinion of the judges, no entry achieves the expected standard. The judges' decision is final.
- You must be a dues-paying member of Story Circle Network to enter. (To join, use our online membership form; you can pay online or mail your check to the address below.)
- The $25 entry fee can be paid online or by check.
- One entry per member.
- To be eligible, your entry must be unpublished. We define a "published" piece as one that has been reviewed and accepted by an editor, either for a print or an online publication. For the purpose of this contest, blog posts are not considered "publications."
- Each entry must be titled, and no longer than 1200 words. (The submission form accepts only 1200 words.) Keep a copy of your entry.
- Story Circle Network does not provide a platform for targeted political or religious argument, and such entries are not eligible.
- Winners' stories must be available for publication in the Journal. However, if you wish your story to be published anonymously, we will remove your name.
- If you have internet access, you must submit your entry to us electronically by using our online form [see below].
- If you do not have internet access, mail your entry, typed and single-spaced, on 8.5 x 11" paper, to Story Circle Network 723 W University Ave #300-234 Georgetown TX 78626. Include your check for the $25 entry fee. If you do not have access to a typewriter, we will accept entries that are clearly handwritten in dark black ink.Be sure that your name and address appear on your entry. Put the actual word count under your name/address. Include a 100-word bio to be published with your entry if you win.
- By submitting your story, you are giving Story Circle the right to publish it in the Journal, in its other print publications, and on its web site. However, authors retain copyright.
Criteria and Judging
The judges look for entries that are fresh and original, tell a compelling story in a clear and authentic voice, are responsive to the topic, and have been polished and carefully proofread for presentation in the competition. The most successful submissions are rich in evocative detail and avoid generalizations and abstractions. Entries will not be returned; evaluations will not be available. The judging team will be made up of Story Circle facilitators and published authors.
Your entry and your entry fee must both be date stamped (if online) or postmarked (if by USPS) NO LATER THAN midnight ET on the deadline date. It is unfair to writers who observe these rules to ask for an exception.
Winners will be notified when the judging is concluded.
How to Enter
Contest entries should be made via the web form if possible.