SCN is pleased to announce the winners of our second annual (2022) poetry competition.
1st place: MaryAnn Easley for "METTA"
2nd place: Marian O'Shea Wernicke for "On Seeing My Mother Naked on Her 91st Birthday"
3rd place: Sharon Charde for "Remains"
Many thanks to all of the excellent entries, as well as to our judges and the contest coordinator.
SCN's annual poetry competition is open only to members of Story Circle Network. To join us, go here.
WATCH THIS PAGE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE 2023 CONTEST.
2022 Topic: Mothers and Daughters
The relationship between mothers and daughters can be complicated. Our mothers are our first loves and safe places. We love one another unconditionally and see ourselves reflected in the other. We know each other in ways that are difficult to describe and, at the same time long to understand more. Using poetry, show us something of your relationship with your mother or daughter. Tell us who they are, and who you are as a result of their influence.
“When someone asks you where you come from, the answer is your mother.”
Anna Quindlen, One True Thing
“Even as a small child, I understood that woman had secrets, and that some of these were only to be told to daughters.”
Alice Hoffman, The Dovekeepers
“No mother is ever, completely, a child's idea of what a mother should be, and I suppose it works the other way around as well.”
Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale
One prize of $100, one prize of $75, and one prize of $50. The first-place post will be published in the Story Circle Journal and all winning poems will be featured on SCN's website. Upon the judges' recommendation, other entries may be published in later issues of the Journal and in other SCN print or online publications. An award may be withheld if, in the opinion of the judges, no entry achieves the expected standard. The judges' decision is final.
- You must be a dues-paying member of Story Circle Network to enter. (To join, use our online membership form; you can pay online or mail your check to the address below.)
- The $25 entry fee can be paid online or by check.
- One entry per member.
- To be eligible, your entry must be unpublished. We define a "published" piece as one that has been reviewed and accepted by an editor, either for a print or an online publication.
- Each entry must be titled, and no longer than 40 lines.
- Story Circle Network does not provide a platform for targeted political or religious argument, and such entries are not eligible.
- Winners' posts must be available for publication in the Journal.
- You must submit your entry to us electronically by using our online form [see below].
- By submitting your poem, you are giving Story Circle the right to publish it in the Journal, in its other print publications, and on its website. However, authors retain copyright.
Criteria and Judging
We’re looking for entries that are fresh and original, responsive to the topic, rich in detail, and been polished and carefully proofread
Both your entry and your entry fee must be RECEIVED (if by USPS) or date-stamped (if online) NO LATER THAN midnight ET on the deadline date. No exceptions will be made. If sending your payment by mail, allow ample time for delivery.
Winners will be notified when the judging is concluded.
How to Enter
Contest entries should be made via the form below. (If you can't see a form, log in or join SCN.)
Members log in to submit. You'll be returned to this page after logging in. The submission form will appear below.