If you are a skilled writer with experience in teaching memoir, journaling, life-based fiction, and other lifewriting forms online and are interested in joining our faculty, we’d like to hear from you.
We are now accepting proposals for these classes:
Spring I: March 15 – May 10. Deadline for Proposals: 1/10/2021
Spring II: May 17 – July 12. Deadline for Proposals: 3/14
Summer: July 19 – September 13. Deadline for Proposals: 5/16
The class term covers an eight-week period. However, you might also consider proposing a three-unit “mini-course” or a four- or five-unit “short course.” For an idea of the kind of courses we’re interested in, check out our classes. See What We’re Looking For for additional possibilities. If you think you might like to teach in the program but want to try out an idea before you submit a proposal, please email us.
We have previously offered four-, six-, and eight-week courses at basic and advanced levels in editing and proofreading, memoir writing, and memoir-to-fiction. We are looking for interesting, creative ways to teach and learn the art of personal story, and especially for classes for more advanced writers. We are also looking for classes in fiction and poetry, taught by women who have published in these areas. Here are some possibilities we’ve thought of. We’re sure you can think of others.
- Teach a class on writing family history. Each student chooses five or six family members, conducts interviews or writes from memory. Or your students write about places in their family’s past, or family traditions. You offer guidance, tips, critique, help.
- Recipe collections are fun! Offer a class that shows students how to gather, edit, assemble, and tell stories about their families’ favorite recipes. In a second-level (advanced) course, help them learn how to publish their books.
- You know about blogging? Share that knowledge (and inspiration) with people who are just getting started.
- Do your talents include proofreading and editing texts? Many people would like to brush up their editorial skills. You can help.
- Do you teach lifewriting as a means of healing and reframing experience? Share your knowledge and experience with students online.
- Offer an intensive class on self-publishing, guiding students through the creation of an eBook or POD book.
- Are you a published travel writer? A food writer? Teach a class on travel writing or food writing.
- Do you write book reviews or how-to articles? These are also good subjects for a course.
- Have you taught fiction or poetry classes in onsite settings? Adapt your material to an online class on writing short stories or poems.
Student tuition is set by SCN and scaled according to the length of the course, content, instructor expertise and experience, and special requirements. SCN collects and retains 30% of tuition and pays the instructor 56%, half when the class begins, half on completion. The other 14% goes for administrative costs. Upon arrangement with SCN, the instructor may charge additional fees for special materials or other requirements; this nonrefundable fee will be collected from the students at the time of registration and paid to the instructor when the class begins. SCN may charge additional administrative fees that are not paid through to the instructor.
Please fill out the form below and click “Submit Online Writing Class Proposal.” We’ll read it carefully and ask you for additional information. If you are proposing a class you’ve already taught for us, please do use this form. However, you may omit the biographical information (last three text boxes; just put “same as before” in those fields).
Don’t forget to make a copy for yourself. You can also print the screen that you will see after you submit your form—it will contain all the information you type on this page. We will reply to you as soon as possible.
- Winter 2024: 11/12/2023
- Spring I 2024: 02/04/2024
- Spring II 2024: 03/10/2024
- Summer 2024: 06/09/2024
- Fall 2024: 08/04/2024
- Winter 2025: 11/10/2024
- Spring I 2025: 02/02/2025
- Spring II 2025: 04/06/2025
- Summer 2025: 06/15/2025
- Falls 2025: 08/03/2025
- Winter 2026: 11/09/2025
Submit Class Proposal
If you are a member or if you have a non-member Instructor account, please log in before completing this form.