Instructor: Leia Francisco
Maximum Enrollment: 8
Class Term: 10/05/2020 - 11/02/2020
SCN Member: $128
Class synopsisWe are experiencing more life transitions than ever. While these transitions can be challenging, they can lead to self-discovery and new possibilities. This class is based on a unique, proven model of writing that brings power and clarity to your life transitions. My trademarked model has come from years of working with people writing through all kinds of transitions that affect roles, relationships, and life views. You will explore the three major phases of all transitions and how writing helps you grow. The theme of the course is leveraging creativity for writing your next chapter.
This class presents the therapeutic benefits of writing as a transition tool in the three phases of every transition: Letting Go, Moving In Between, Accepting the New Way. Students choose writing strategies to meet their needs in each phase, look at special transition challenges, understand the normal ups and downs in facing changes. Methods include reading assignments from the instructor’s book, lessons posted in a web-based forum, with opportunity for students to post responses each week and receive instructor and peer support. An optional Zoom discussion may be offered toward the end of class.
(Note: Class methods will be particularly attuned to students during this time of the pandemic and other social and institutional upheavals.)
Understand the benefits of writing tools in transitions
Distinguish change from transition
Identify three phases of transition in current or past transitions
Use writing prompts and reflection to deepen understanding of the process
Normalize all feelings as part of the transition
Explore methods for increasing possibilities for the next chapter
Class communication methodIn my online teaching and training over the past 12 years, I have used a platform that allows me to post a weekly lesson and student responses Posts are encouraged as are supportive, respectful comments. Occasionally I post a photo to represent a transition element or a short video. However, I want to offer a short course that is lean and spacious enough for process. Because people are currently in transition overwhelm and may have limited attention energy, I will keep things simple. I would like students to order my book because it will be valuable long after the class.
Note: Book Writing Through Transitions: A Guide for Transforming Life Changes (WTT) should be ordered no later than one week before the start of class. Order through my website: https://leiafrancisco.com. Book cost is included in the course payment.
Unit One: Introduction
- Read pages 1-13 in WTT, Naming the Change, introduce the transition writing model.
- Instructor post, welcome, summary of key points for students’ process of transition. Identify current or recent transition
- Choose from instructor’s writing prompts, post reflections, peer and instructor feedback. (sharing is always optional.)
Unit Two: Letting Go
- Read pages 26-28 and page 33 in WTT, when and what to leave behind
- Choose one or more writing prompts from pages 28-29
- Post reflections, peer and instructor feedback.
Unit Three: Moving In-Between
- Read pages 36-39, 41-43 on this liminal phase, short video clip
- Understand need for safe space, supports, assess mixture of feelings, explore creative possibilities
- Choose one of more writing prompts from page 43
- Post reflections, peer and instructor feedback
Unit Four: Accepting the New Chapter
- Read pages 52-53 in WTT, emotional acceptance, preparing
- Choose one prompt from page 55 in WTT
- Read / 77-81 in WTT, looking at meaning of transition, saving your stories
- Final Reflections and closing the circle
(I may offer Zoom coaching sessions with a minimum of three people registering)
Class time commitmentapproximately 90 minutes per week
Leia Francisco, M.A., is a Board Certified Coach and certified in Journal to the Self and Journal Facilitation. She is the author of Writing Through Transitions: A Guide for Transforming Life Changes and creator of her trademarked program Writing Through Transitions®. Leia pioneered this work as one of the first faculty for The Therapeutic Writing Institute. She has written books on career planning and writing and headed transition teams for large organizations. In the last decade, Leia has focused on transition coaching, teaching, and writing, and two years ago created a certification training for Transition Writing Specialists. She is passionate about transition work as part of our shared humanity and knows that writing is a powerful tool for transition. Her greatest joy is guiding others in transition to deeper wisdom and strength.