Instructor: Katherine McCord
Maximum Enrollment: 10
Class Term: 03/15/2021 - 04/26/2021
SCN Member: $192.00
Class synopsisStudents will study examples of Broadsheets and Broadsides, poems and other creative writing that fit on one sheet of paper and were handed out on street corners beginning with the Industrial Revolution and especially taken back up during the Vietnam War protests to the present. I’ll provide examples, teach about craft, technique, influence and inspiration, and students will create and share their own Broadsheets and Broadsides.
The Broad Sheet and Broadside came about during the Industrial Revolution. They were one-sheet poems and stories handed out on street corners and often were entertainment for those who lived within a few blocks, mostly because they referenced individuals within those boundaries. Other than the poems (which didn’t have to reference locals), they were local gossip. They were cheap, so the working class could afford them. In the 60s they picked back up monumentally because of the Vietnam War; protesters would hand out what was now often considered true poetry. They often have illustrations or are on fine paper. In this class you will create them with your own poems and other Creative Writing, but you don’t have to have a visual element or special paper. It will be up to you! (Students will share their Broadsheets, respond to their peers’ and learn via published examples and lectures concerning craft.)
The students will understand and appreciate the Broadsheet and Broadside. Students will learn about, understand and employ elements of response, aspects of craft and technique, visual and/or tactile elements of the Broadsheet and Broadside (using visual and tactile elements will be optional), and historical influence. Students will create their own Broadsheets.
Class communication methodWe will use lecture, workshopping and students responding to other students’ Broadsheets/sides as vehicles. If the class is small, we’ll use email. If the class is large, we’ll use a teaching platform, such as wet.ink or one Story Circle Network offers, such as Yahoo Group site.
- The students will learn about the history of the Broadsheet and Broadside and how personal technique can play in as they begin creating their melded Broadsheets and Broadsides or choose from their writing already written. The students will explore and study examples of Broadsheets and Broadsides that I will provide.
- The students will explore craft and technique through specifics, such as theme. The students will explore and study examples, including their possible tactile and visual aspects, of Broadsheets and Broadsides that I will provide. The students will keep writing their melded Broadsheets and Broadsides.
- The students will learn about the efforts and technique of response. The students will keep working on their melded Broadsheets and Broadsides. The students will explore and study examples of Broadsheets and Broadsides that I will provide.
- The students will share their revised, melded Broadsheets and Broadsides for response. I will provide more examples of Broadsheets and Broadsides the students will study and explore. The students will consider the craft of their melded Broadsheets and Broadsides through tactile and visual elements that are often a part of Broadsheets and Broadsides.
- The students will explore the final drafts of their melded Broadsheets and Broadsides through explication and/or annotation. I will provide more examples of Broadsheets and Broadsides for them to explore and study.
- The students will share the final versions of their work with their classmates. Publication of such will be discussed so the students can take part in the process of potential publication.
Class time commitment3 hrs. per week
- Brief Bio: I have been teaching Creative Writing online for many years and have book awards and Creative Writing Awards, such as The Autumn House Open Book Award in Creative Nonfiction and a Hoffer Legacy Award.